Tuesday, April 16, 2013

My Taylor Swift Take


Having been able to view the meteoric rise of Taylor Swift from an interesting vantage point, I feel the need to finally put into words something I've been wanting to say for a couple of years now. When you are on an insane ascent and you gain incredible popularity, society, music critics, music 'fans' and others  immediately look to see what is wrong. "Oh she's not country," "she writes music I can't relate to,""she can't sing." Now I'm not here to take away anyone's right to be an idiot or their opinion but let's get one thing clear, if you're mighty 'indie band' or Bob Dylan, The Beatles or say Radiohead or whatever the flavor of the day is, wouldn't you get a little sideways if someone continually ran you into the wall?

I could write about this for a few pages but I'll just leave it with this...

"Taylor Swift looks built to last, and I hope that we'll be hearing from her for a long, long time. But talent is a fickle suitor, times change, and most of all, you never know. If you're denying yourself the pleasure of listening to the world's greatest pop star because you think she's for little kids, or because you don't like who you think she's dating, or, most of all, you think you'll catch up with her when she matures, I urge you to stop sitting on your hands and get with the program. It's 2013; it's her day. This is the golden age of something good and right and real. It won't last forever." Tris McCall, Newark Star-Ledger.



No comments:

Post a Comment